What’s with moms never getting sleep? I tell ya- since the moment I was prego with my kids, I have yet to get a good solid 8 hours! From being sick with both in my belly, to nursing, reflux, sicknesses, asthmatic flares, nightmares, night terrors, bedwetting, etc. I still suffer from lack of sleep. My sister’s kids are sleep angels. My kids are sleep devils. That’s just how it rolls…. In our house- a quiet night is sparing, but treasured!
Here’s my top ten list for reasons moms don’t sleep:
(Tweaked by my personal experience!)
10. Husband’s snoring like a freight train. (Sorry honey, had to put it in)
9. Son wet the bed again. Peeling clothes off and changing bedding.
8. Daughter says there are ghosts in her closet because with her glasses off her eyes see “weird things”. Apparently the idea of shutting them when she goes to sleep is not an option…..
7. Sickness: Anything under the sun. You know….flu, colds, throwing up, ear infections, croup, etc etc. pain of any kind associated with any sickness. Sure to wake or keep my kids up.
6. Asthma: This one could be under sickness….but I totally believe it has earned it’s own place on the countdown chart!!!!
5. Early morning risers. “What? Do you see the sun yet? That means it is still night time and you need to go back to bed!” “PLEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!” “Okay……go downstairs and get any treat you want as long as you are quiet and let me SLEEP!”
4. Nightmares. Both of my kids have them from time to time. Not too often, but always fills those “boring” nights where they are not sick and the house could be quiet!
3. Night Terrors. Oh how I hate those nights! My son still struggles with them when he gets overtired. He screams, cries and eventually ends up in an asthmatic state. These nights are rough.
2. Sleepovers! I am a big fan of letting the kids stay up late and have a blast during sleepovers with friends or cousins. That’s what sleepovers are for!!!
1. And the number one reason why moms (that would be me) lose so much sleep? Drum roll please…
When the house is actually quiet, you are so thrilled and at peace you start to relax and get into all the shows you have DVRed and never got the time to watch. You suddenly realize that it is two in the morning and you are kicking yourself for having wasted the rare and beautiful opportunity to get a full night’s sleep!
Did I forget anything? Let me know…..my mind is numb from lack of sleep!