When I saw the link up topic for today, with Lisa and Rabia, my heart immediately tightened, with a twinge of angst. It amazes me that over thirty years have gone by, since I was 16 years old, and yet? There is this vulnerable and vast gaping hole that still swells open and stirs my soul with memories and emotions that seem to wake from their dormant place in time. Although I have since transformed and grown into someone I always longed to be, I must confess that this age? Is still a part of me…
History sews together the fabric of who we are, and those teen years produced wounds that still reveal scars from circumstances and broken pieces of my life and my heart. And as I often look back with that dreaded weight of it all, there is an incredible hope that rises with what has become of me now. That tumultuous path I paved… through all the trials and tests and turns… has intersected and woven together to create who I am.
There may be many broken pieces of my past… but God somehow managed to use each part to inspire depth, compassion and love that continues to triumph in His Plan. The magnitude of His Grace continues to nourish that vulnerable and vast gaping hole, as He fills it with a purpose.
And yet? I wish I believed in these truths when I was 16. Maybe these would be words of encouragement for a 16 year old that you know too.
2. You WILL heal. God will take every broken part and make it whole again.
3. Trust that this season will end. And you will rise to new heights and stand on solid ground. This is not how life will be. This is not who you will be.
4. You will find love. True love. And you will learn what that is.
5. You are a miracle in the making. God will use all of this for His Good.
6. God will never ever abandon you. Even when you don’t feel His Presence, He IS there.
7. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. All of you. Every bit. You are a beautiful child of God. Believe that. Oh please believe that..
8. You are forgiven. Walk in His Grace. Don’t let your shame define you or defeat you.
9. God’s plan will reveal a beautiful purpose in you. Those dreams you have? His are better.
10. Joy and peace will come. Hold on. I promise…