Once in a while, I like to see the world from my kids’ point of view. I’m usually pretty good at knowing them inside and out, but it’s always important for me to see how they are really digesting things they experience and how they process this life and the world they live in. When I saw the prompt for this week’s “Finish the Sentence Friday”, The World Needs More… I immediately thought this would be a perfect question for my kids to answer.
We sat outside on our back patio one early evening to discuss this prompt, and Cade went first with his honest and quite insightful 9-year-old perspective…
Cade: The world needs more…
1. Habitat for animals, because they are taking so much land down to build buildings and malls.
2. Trees. Those are being taken down and we need them!
3. Peace. There’s too much violence in the world.
4. Wisdom: People are killing other people and they’re not thinking clearly.
5. Wealth. All the poor people of the world that don’t have food or water and so many things that we have.
6. Joy. Too many people are sad because they don’t have a home or food for their family and no one to comfort them.
7. Safety. A lot of people in the world aren’t safe because of bad people.
8. Homes. For all the homeless people.
9. Freedom. In other parts of the world.
10. Christ. Some people need a friend by their side and the best one is Christ.
As Cade was elaborating on his ideas, Cass was feverishly writing hers down. She made sure Cade was absolutely positively done with his input, before she would share hers… because brothers sometimes ‘copy’ everything older sisters do and say, and she would have none of that.
As often is the case, I am impressed with the values she holds tightly, and her understanding in what would truly make this world a better place.
Cassidy: The world needs more…
1. Patience with one another.
2. Love and kindness for each other no matter the color of your skin or who you are.
3. Understanding that people are different and not everyone is going to be like you.
4. Hope. We need more hope to get us through bad times.
5. Self Control. When people get mad, they need to control themselves and not get violent and do idiotic things.
6. People who are strong in what they want, not what others want for them.
7. Joy, to lighten up people’s lives, even if it’s hard.
8. The world needs to see God’s love for us all.
9. Bravery. So people can fight for their freedom, and their rights.
10. Faith in each other, and in ourselves.
11. Education to help us make better decisions when we get older.
12. Teachers who love and care for the kids they teach.
13. People to come together to help those that don’t have what we do.
14. Gentleness, goodness and kindness and not violence.
15. Creativity, for inventions to help the world prosper for generations to come.
16. Family and friends that stick by you and love you no matter what.
17. Compassion for others, even when you don’t feel you want to give it.
I can agree with all of what my kids shared.
Here’s to hoping the next generation will rise to meet these ever-present needs in our world.
Thrilled to link up with FTSF!